Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Doing Something Nice For Someone More Stressed Than Me: A Heartwarming Non-Music Related Blog Post

I wish I could say that I did nice things for people more stressed than I without being assigned by my Technical Communication teacher, but more often than not I cannot say that. Let me give some background on this story. My younger sister recently became engaged. She's getting married in only a few weeks. She's also hoping to pass all her classes so she can graduate this semester. In addition to all that, she works at a shoe store and has an internship at a fitness center half an hour away. Needless to say, she is more stressed than I. Oh, I forgot, she also just wrecked the crud out of my dad's beloved car and has no car of her own to drive. And I should mention that her fiance goes to school in another state. 
So, I took it upon myself to help her out a little. She was in need of transportation from school to work. So, in the spirit of the holiday season, I took some time out of my busy schedule to pick her up from the mall and take her to her class. 
I felt good about giving her a ride, but in my heart I knew I could do more. She needed something sugary and fattening to comfort her in her troubled times. So, later on that night, I hopped in my classic 1987 Mazda RX-7 and drove to the Mecca of sugary fat cravers, Krispy Kreme. I purchased one dozen assorted doughnuts including some delightful pumpkin spice cake doughnuts and a couple festively frosted ones. After paying my eight bucks or so, I hopped back in my classic 1987 Mazda RX-7 and headed to my sister's apartment. Now, I can't say that my intentions in giving the doughnuts were entirely altruistic as I was also hoping to score some points with my sister's roommates. After all, I didn't expect my sister to eat all twelve. 
So, I knocked at the door and set the doughnuts aside on a nearby bench. When my sister answered, I gave her a brotherly hug and then grabbed the doughnuts. She asked, "Brother, why did you bring me doughnuts?" in a puzzled yet pleased sort of way. Now, she happens to be in the same Technical Communication class as me and I saw the wheels turning in her head. The jig was up. She caught me being nice to fill the assignment. But she and her roommates were appreciative anyway. Mission accomplished. 

No comments: